Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Caveat emptor.

[WORK IN PROGRESS]

Make sure that your store is busy and moving its merchandise.  Many ethnic grocery stores I’ve been in were uncrowded and not rotating their stock, selling expired canned goods and inedible produce that shouldn’t have been on the shelves. [If you happen to be in southeast Houston, the Hong Kong grocery on Scarsdale is as good as I’ve seen. Their produce is almost always great, and I haven't picked up any expired cans. Of course, YMMV.]


Also be aware that food made abroad is notoriously badly labeled. I ate some sesame candy once that had just a few ingredients listed, but I could clearly see at least as many additional undeclared ingredients.  If you have food allergies or are sensitive to certain things, understand that you’re rolling the dice. Like any grocery store, read labels and carefully look at, smell, and (if you can) touch all produce, meat, and fish before buying.

No comments:

Post a Comment